Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Comes For Charley


Vonnie Mikkelesen volunteers for the Pasco County animal shelter and is a tireless advocate for the shelter's dogs. She publishes the Dog Daze pages that shine a spotlight on shelter dogs in urgent need of adoption. Charley was recently featured in two of the Dog Daze issues. Vonnie sent me this message last week:

"I'd like to share with you some recent developments that have happened for Charley. Last Tuesday, at the heartfelt urging of staff at the Pasco shelter, Charley was transferred to the Humane Society of Tampa Bay. I have to say that when I heard the news, I was a bit concerned that Charley might get lost in the shuffle and the numbers upon his transfer, so I made an inquiry on his behalf.
Much to my great delight, I found out not only had he made it into their adoption program, he had already won over the hearts of his new caregivers. They informed me that they had already planned an immediate full-out print and television media blitz coverage on his story this week. And then today, he was adopted! That's him with his new "Mom" in the photo above.
Superb work by the Pasco shelter staff for believing in him and for bringing him back to health and for a shelter-rescue partnership that knows no borders and works together tirelessly to advocate for and give our animals a voice and second chance.
Lesson learned - good things happen to good souls that forgive and move on... "

Sue Carlton of The St. Petersburg Times wrote a touching article about Charley, a dog who has suffered much at the hands of miserable humans and risen to love and be loved again.