Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Firework Battle

The big night of booms is over. We're still dealing with "children" who are playing with leftover explosive toys, but they will run out eventually. We did our sofa routine last night, watched a good movie with the canine bookends. Ella won't venture out during the bangs and pops, so she's been in hiding for much of the week. She's the third noise sensitive dog we've had in the last twenty years. The first thing we did this morning was look for the remains of fireworks in our yard. In years past, we've found exploded cardboard, plastic and paper, along with slim metal rods that stick up out of the dirt and are potential hazards. As I scan the Lost and Found today, I wonder how many pets bolted during the Fourth of July celebration. How many animals ran out into traffic, how many dogs busted through windows or doors to escape the noise? Wildlife displaced? Horses and cows panicked? People with eye and hand injuries?

I mentioned in a previous post that I hope to someday use this blog to help in the campaign to ban the personal use of fireworks. This issue has been tumbling in my brain for years. I think it will take a substantial effort to create a force effective enough to be successful. I'm not ready to deal with a project of that magnitude, but I'm gathering information. If you know of groups who are interested in this cause, please email me or post a reply. I want to make as many connections as possible, before approaching this project in full. I read that Prevent Blindness America is seeking a ban on fireworks. Animals lovers from all walks are potential supporters. The pet and livestock industries are not to be sneezed at. Physicians who see injuries and veterinarians are another possibility. Eventually, I will contact the groups from the list I have compiled. Along with the connections, I need to know what work others in Florida have already done towards this effort. Is there a petition in circulation? Has someone worked on creating legislation that would truly ban the sale of fireworks to the public? What prevented the recent Statewide taskforce and past efforts from working? Are there other states who have effective bans and how did they accomplish that?

I'm not looking forward to this battle. I don't like confrontation and I like to keep my home life serene. This is a topic that has the potential to cause eruptive feelings and public backlash. But how long can we hide from that? The safety and well being of people and animals are more important than entertainment, no matter how sentimental the issue or how far back the tradition of personal fireworks in American goes. I believe Floridians who choose to, can enjoy firework displays put on by professionals, leaving those who don't the option of a quiet night at home.