Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I'm Thankful

I have so many things to be grateful for; I could write a book. Among them are my canine-loving husband and the two beasties that share our life. I'm constantly humbled by the generosity of individuals who volunteer their time to rescue animals, especially those who are the backbone of rescue groups and shelters. There's a growing army of animal lovers in this country, who are rising to the call of duty. There are even those who do double duty; serving their country as warriors in Iraq, while rescuing dogs and cats from the streets of Baghdad. And now, we have a President-Elect, who has stated to millions of viewers here and abroad, that his wish is to bring home a shelter dog for his daughters. That action alone, should heighten awareness and boost adoptions.

Thursday, I'll overdulge in delicious food and soak up the lively discussions, gentle jesting, and laughter that happens among good friends. That evening, Scott and I will drop sated onto a sofa, bookended by two champion snugglers, in front of a crackling fire. I don't know why I'm so blessed, but I'm thankful for it. I wish my readers a peaceful, bountiful Thanksgiving. I know your pets are well-loved and they are giving that love back, and that's yet another thing to be grateful for!

*Check out the ASPCA's recommendations for safely sharing your Thanksgiving meal with the critters.