Thursday, March 27, 2008

Moose, The Lucky Basset

Here is a rescue story from Phillip:

I suppose my dog rescue story is not as glorious as some. My dog was not abused and did not come from a bad home. Most people love Basset Hounds and Moose gets attention everywhere we go. So why is there a need for a Basset Hound Rescue? This is a dog that perfectly illustrates the need for researching your dog before you adopt! Basset puppies are adorable, and since they are short people think of them as small dogs. My vet says however that my 45 pounder is in the same category as much larger dogs since the only things smaller about him really are his legs. He was in a a condo with no yard to explore, and a big big voice! (the better to annoy all those neighbors with) Another thing that is typical with these dogs is a very contrary attitude. Deliberately disobeying is not uncommon.

Basically Moose was in a good and loving, though totally inappropriate home. My family has had hound dogs all my life and I am all too familiar with Beagle's and Basset's idiosyncrasies, so when I heard about this guy with a Basset Hound I decided to go for it! That was just about exactly two years ago and I have never regretted it once. I love this dog more than anything and I feel so lucky that his old owner couldn't keep him. I do know that for anyone out there that has a good amount of space and is patient, and is willing to trade that patience for more love than you ever bargained on, maybe you should contact the Suncoast Basset Hound Rescue. As with most breeds of dogs, there are a LOT of these guys out there that need good homes!